3 Tier TerraCotta Planter
This craft project (making a 3 tier terracotta planter) is an easy and educational activity that you can do with your kids. If your kids like making gifts for the adults in their lives, this project is a great gift idea for aunts, uncles, or grandparents.
It is practical, relatively inexpensive and if the kids decorate the pots, each one they make will be totally unique!
You and the kids get to play with a bit of dirt, have lots of laughs and will end up with an object of natural beauty when the activity is done.
Supplies for your 3 Tier Terracotta Planter...
You will need:
- 3 terra cotta pots - 1 small, 1 medium, 1 large
- Potting soil
- Small rock or pebbles (for drainage and decoration)
- Gardening tools and gloves for the kids
- 3 of your favorite plants/seedlings
If you'd like your planter to have a little extra 'pizzazz', you could try using colored ceramic or pots with designs, or you could paint your own designs on your pots...
If you don't already have these items on hand, a trip to your local hardware store or nursery with the kids can be a fun activity, particularly if you let them choose the pots and the plants.
- Take the largest pot (which will be your base) and fill it around 2/3 full of soil. Press it gently with your fingers.
- Put the medium pot on top of the soil in the large pot, ensuring that it is around 1/3 inside the base pot.
- Take your first plant and place it in the soil in the base pot. Add more soil, until the roots of the plant and the lower third of the second pot are securely in the soil.
- Repeat the above steps with the smallest pot, so that the second plant is placed into the soil of the second pot and the roots and the last pot are secure.
- Finally, plant the remaining plant into the smallest pot and press gently.
You can add more pebbles at the base of your planter like I have if you want to add an extra little decorative touch.
Your unique planter is now ready to take pride of place in your home - you could even make one as a distinctive gift for a friend!
Just remind the kids that they will need to water their new plants regularly...
Would you like to print out an Instruction Sheet for this activity?
Click on the download button to get your copy of the xxx. The pdf will open in a new tab and you can either save it or print it from there.
Please do feel free to share this sheet with anyone who might like to engage their kids in this activity!
Want to Show Off Your Kids Creations?
If your children would like to share their fantastic creatures with the world, then we'd love to help them do so!
Just take a photo, then visit our main Crafts for Kids page and scroll down - you'll find a form to upload your photo and the name of their creation.
We look forward to receiving it!
Dec 16, 17 11:35 PM
Help the kids make their own christmas wreath with some coloured paper, red yarn and a plastic plate.
Dec 16, 17 01:21 AM
Looking for a craft activity for the kids to do on a rainy afternoon? Let's make a stained glass butterfly to decorate the windows in their rooms!
Dec 13, 17 10:27 PM
Looking for something different to do over the holidays? Help your kids make a beautiful stained glass window sticker.